Meet TWO.AM’s Creative Director, Reijer.
Have you met our Creative Director, Reijer van der Vlugt (read Rider of the Flight)? He is mostly responsible for TWO.AM’s tours de force and he, quite literally, stands tall as our creative brain.
This week, we sat down with Reijer for a quick Q&A. He shared some thoughts on agency life, what inspires him and spoke to some insightful career tips.
Q: So Reijer, how do you pass your time at the office?
A: I’m still hands-on with my own projects (I would go crazy not being able to create), as well as helping out in the studio on odd jobs, so I still juggle my various management responsibilities in between slaying deadlines. I oversee creative from ideation to execution, as well as guiding the creative team through any difficulties on briefs to glorious victory.
Q: Tell us your secret. How does one move up the ladder in an agency?
A: Take on as much responsibility as you can, take the opportunity to present, get involved in projects as much as you can, make yourself indispensable. NEVER kill time, it’s the only currency worth spending in life. I firmly believe that if you work hard enough, you can achieve anything you put your heart into.
Q: Everyone starts out as a Junior at some point. What advice would you give the new kid?
- Be a sponge. Seek your inspiration and absorb as much as you can.
- Don’t be precious about ideas. You have to give them freely – if it’s not being picked up, there’s usually a good reason for it. Park it and save it for another day.
- Box clever – learn not to sweat the small things and get caught up in details. The idea is the most important – then how you deliver it – the rest is background noise.
- Work on your confidence. Put yourself out of your comfort zone – try present your work yourself. Prepare properly for your reviews. Great ideas deserve to be given the best chance they have of coming to life, in the review process as well as the sell.
- Start on paper – the mind is a better place to start than the limitations of your latest CC update.
- Up-skill. Learn something new every week. Learn basic animation. Try an illustration or type piece. With all the incredible tools and information at our disposal you really do set your own limits.
Q: What inspires you to design?
A: Literally, EVERYTHING. But especially creative work outside of the advertising industry, from art, photography and film to literature and music. I try to keep an open mind and make a habit of feeding my curiosity, but most importantly being open to play. I’ve also developed a healthy sense of disdain for ‘best practice’ and trends, which helps a lot in creating a fresh approach.
Q: TWO.AM life offers countless top moments. Name your favourites.
A: It’s been wild. From meeting my amazing girlfriend to winning our first Loerie Award, gaining new clients to saving American tourists at the detriment of my mouse hand, from falling rocks on a staff outing – I wouldn’t change the last four years for anything. Mostly, I really enjoy the people I get to work with every day.
Q: If you could change one thing about the industry what would it be?
A: Packaging. It’s a completely unnecessary and frivolous scourge on the environment.
Q: What’s your favourite song at the moment?
A: Led Zeppelin – Good Times, Bad Times.
Q: Who’s the most famous person you’ve met?
A: Okay “met” is a bit of an overclaim, but I literally crashed into Ryan Reynolds at the Lifestyle Centre on Kloof one day into a sort of awkward chest-bump hug.